Menu

Attack on synagogue filmed: Neo-Nazi arrested from Saxony-Anhalt


            
              Wednesday, October 9, 2019
              
                

            
The police meanwhile go from a single perpetrator.

              The Jewish community in Halle misses a hair's breadth of disaster: An armed gunman fails at the security door. Similar to the assassin of Christchurch, the 27-year-old German filming his act with a helmet camera. There are anti-Semitic curses on the clip.
              In the middle of Halle / Saale, two people were shot dead in front of a synagogue and a doner kebab. The Jewish community immediately missed a catastrophe. An offender with a steel helmet and boots tried at noon to storm the synagogue by force of arms, but failed. At the time, 70 to 80 people celebrated the highest Jewish holiday in Yom Kippur. The city of Halle spoke of an "amok situation" in the early afternoon. According to security circles, the shooter was a 27-year-old German from Saxony-Anhalt. In addition, the investigators had a video, which the attacker apparently shot with a helmet camera. The recordings point to an anti-Semitic and right-wing extremist motive. In the clip, the perpetrator is to scold several times about "Jews" and "Kanacken", reported the "mirror". According to WDR, NDR and "Süddeutsche Zeitung" the offender uploaded the video on the Internet. According to security circles, the video commemorates the Christchurch attack in New Zealand. Again, the perpetrator had filmed his attack on a mosque and streamed live on Facebook. The police had previously reported that several armed offenders were with a car on the run. However, photos and videos released by the media showed only a masked shooter. Even eyewitnesses spoke only of a culprit. In the early afternoon, the police reported the arrest of a person. From security circles it was said in the evening, but it all but point to a single perpetrator hin.Generalbundesanwalt determined The Attorney General drew the investigation itself – for murder of particular importance. Whether it is an anti-Semitic act is still unclear, said a spokesman in Karlsruhe. The city called people early in the afternoon throughout Halle to stay safe in buildings. Only in the evening at 18:15 clock was the all-clear. "You can go back to the street, the warnings are lifted," the police tweeted. The threat situation was no longer classified as acute. In the attack on the synagogue, the perpetrator also put homemade explosives in front of the church. It had fallen several shots. A female victim had been shot dead in front of the synagogue, security sources said. Whether she was a chance victim remained unclear. There was also a male dead in or on a kebab snack. According to the chairman of the Jewish Community of Halle, Max Privorozki, the attack was directed directly against the synagogue. "We have seen through the camera of our synagogue that a heavily armed offender with a steel helmet and rifle has tried to shoot our doors," said Privorozki the "Stuttgarter Zeitung" and the "Stuttgarter Nachrichten". "But our doors have held." The perpetrator also tried to shoot open the gate of the adjoining Jewish cemetery, said the chairman. Levi Salomon of the Jewish Forum for Democracy and Anti-Semitism confirmed to dpa after a phone call to Privorotzki that the masked offender had fired at the door can not enter the synagogue. Around 20 people were entrenched in the synagogue in the afternoon, including several guests from the USA. Salomon also threw bottles of liquid. One met the sukkah (tabernacle), another the Jewish cemetery in the immediate vicinity and one the synagogue yard. Only the bottle against the cemetery was ignited. Dead accident victims? About 30 meters in front of the synagogue was a fatality on a street with a blue blanket over the synagogue. In addition, according to eyewitness reports, a perpetrator in a combat suit with a rifle in a kebab shop shot and killed a visitor. There were at least two more injured. They were taken to the University Hospital Halle. "A patient has gunshot wounds and is currently undergoing surgery," said a hospital spokesman. The "Central German newspaper" from Halle showed a photo of a dark-clad man with a helmet and boots holding a rifle. The MDR showed a video on which possibly the same man gets out of a car and fires his gun several times. Shots in LandsbergAlso Landsberg, about 15 kilometers east of Halle, there were shots, confirmed a police spokeswoman in Halle. People should not leave here buildings and apartments, it said. The driveway to the district Wiedersdorf was closed off. Several police cars, including vehicles from Saxony, were on site. Also two ambulances were to be seen. On Wednesday afternoon at 16.00 clock landed on a field at Wiedersdorf a helicopter of the Federal Police. The police did not give any information on the background. Saxony-Anhalt's Prime Minister Reiner Haseloff was appalled by the act. "Not only have people been taken out of our midst, but it is also a cowardly attack on peaceful coexistence in our country." Government spokesman Steffen Seibert said in Berlin that the federal government hopes that the perpetrators will be caught quickly. The thoughts went "to the friends and families of the dead," he said. Abominations also came from abroad. The European Parliament took a minute's silence for the victims. Thoughts are on Germany, German police and the Jewish community in Germany, said Parliament President David Sassoli. UN Secretary-General António Guterres said the incident was "another tragic demonstration of anti-Semitism," a UN spokesman in New York said With. AFD Group Leader Alice Weidel tweeted, "My thoughts are with the victims and their families, and I hope the police will quickly grab the perpetrator without harming other people."

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *